Osborn Maledon's commitment to the community is also expressed through the pro bono legal services and community service activities of our lawyers.
Pro Bono Services
Examples of our pro bono undertakings include:
- Osborn Maledon lawyers represented Timothy Ring, an Arizona man convicted of murder who argued that his death sentence was improper because it was imposed based on facts found by a judge, not a jury. One of our Members successfully argued the case before the United States Supreme Court, which handed down a landmark decision holding that death sentences may not be imposed based on factual findings made by judges alone.
- We provide legal and other assistance to Homeward Bound, a local philanthropy that provides transitional housing and services to families with children.
- We assist Southwest Center for HIV/AIDS, a community-based organization providing services to people with HIV, in connection with clinical trials, corporate, tax and real estate matters, including with respect to the development of a new community center that Southwest Center for HIV/AIDS will anchor, financed by City of Phoenix bond monies.
- We serve as General Counsel to the Grand Canyon Chapter of the American Red Cross.
- We helped create and continue to provide legal support to the Arizona Justice Project, an organization that assists convicted persons with claims of manifest injustice.