This program will demystify amicus briefs. You will hear a member of the judiciary, a private-practice lawyer, and representatives from public-interest organizations discuss the following issues:
- What types of amicus briefs are most helpful to judges?
- What should amici avoid?
- If I want amicus support for my case, where should I turn?
- How do public-interest organizations choose which case to support?
- How should I help match potential amici with pro bono or paid counsel?
- What role should a party's lawyer play in coordinating amici?
- Do amicus briefs make a difference?
Date and Time: Thursday, January 10, 2019, 4:00 – 5:00 pm
CLE Credit: 1 hour
Hon. John Pelander, Supreme Court of Arizona
Roopali Desai, Coopersmith Brockelman PLC
Paul Avelar, Managing Attorney, Institute for Justice
Kathy Brody, Legal Director, ACLU of Arizona
Eric M. Fraser, Osborn Maledon, PA
Phoenix Location: Arizona Supreme Court Building
1501 W. Washington, Rooms 329/330, Phoenix
Tucson Location: Arizona Court of Appeals Building, North Building
400 W. Congress, Suite 302, Tucson