Energy, Water, and Utility Law
Our experienced energy law, water, and public utility regulation team provides legal counsel and strategic advice for the electric, renewable energy, natural gas, water, telecommunications and innovative technologies sectors. The clients we serve include public utilities, renewable and traditional energy developers, industry associations and public and private entities in all types of transactions related to the energy and utility industries.
Our attorneys are well known in the industry and have extensive regulatory experience and creativity in numerous areas of energy and utility regulation and project development. We have actively participated in the development of the regulatory framework and capitalize on this extensive experience to advise our clients.
In our energy and public utility practice, we have:
- Represented various clients, from utilities to third party intervenors, in water, electric, and gas rate cases before state public utility commission.
- Represented utilities in energy efficiency, renewable energy, and integrated resource planning dockets before state public utility commission.
- Represented various clients, from utilities to private developers, in line siting proceedings before the Arizona State Power Plant and Line Siting Commission and state public utility commission.
- Helped clients secure financing authority from state public utility commissions.
- Drafted power purchase agreements and other energy-related contracts for private energy providers and regulated utilities.
- Helped private energy provider structure power transaction so as to become eligible for utility renewable energy tariff.
- Represented telecommunications company in request to obtain service authorization before state public utility commission.
- Obtained approval of purchase power agreement for wind resources before the state public utility commission.
- 36 Osborn Maledon lawyers recognized in the 2022 Edition of The Best Lawyers in America®
- Arizona Corporation Commission Open Meeting Monitor - October 28, 2020
- Arizona Corporation Commission Open Meeting Monitor - October 22, 2019
- Arizona Corporation Commission Open Meeting Monitor - August 12, 2018
- Arizona Corporation Commission Open Meeting Monitor- July 19, 2018
- Arizona Corporation Commission Open Meeting Monitor - June 12, 2018
- Arizona Corporation Commission Open Meeting Monitor - July 11, 2017
- Arizona Corporation Commission Open Meeting Monitor - June 13, 2017
- Arizona Corporation Commission Open Meeting Monitor - November 17, 2016
- Arizona Corporation Commission Open Meeting Monitor - October 27, 2016
- Arizona approves major new transmission line to California
Market Intelligence, March 25, 2020
- Table of Experts: Innovations in Energy
Phoenix Business Journal, April 7, 2017
- How price hikes between rate cases help both consumers and utilities
Phoenix Business Journal, September 9, 2016
- Dispelling the myths of residential rate reform: Why an evolving grid requires a modern approach to residential electricity pricing
The Electricity Journal, 2016
- There and Back Again: Why a residential demand rate developed 40 years ago is increasingly relevant today
Public Utilities Fortnightly, November 2015
- Dealing with Change: The Long-Term Challenge for the Electric Industry
Natural Resources & Environment, Vol. 23, No. 1 , Summer 2008