Osborn Maledon attorneys have substantial expertise representing Indian tribes on a wide variety of on-reservation and off-reservation issues, including business transactions, litigation, provision of outside general counsel services, employment matters such as discipline and termination, internal investigations and employment agreements, intergovernmental issues, real estate acquisitions and trust takings, real estate leasing and development, natural resources development, and the transactional and regulatory aspects of Indian gaming. We also have significant experience representing non-Indian companies and communities in their business dealings with Indian tribes and activities in Indian Country.
Through our relationships with tribes, we have developed a thorough understanding of the unique issues that arise in litigation involving Indian tribes and the laws that apply to on-reservation business transactions.
Examples of our Indian Law experience includes:
- Representing a northern Arizona tribe in on and off-reservation real estate matters, including fee to trust takings of more than 160,000 acres, natural resource development and protection, economic development, and intergovernmental relationships
- Representing a central Arizona tribe regarding gaming, on-reservation ground leasing and real estate development
- Representing a central Arizona tribe in the landmark case establishing that tribe's and other Arizona tribes' right to engage in gaming and casino development
- Representing Arizonans for Fair Gaming and Indian Self Reliance which was instrumental in voter approval of Proposition 202, the 17-tribe initiative that established Arizona’s current gaming compacts
- Representing a central Arizona tribe in environmental litigation and commercial disputes
- Representing various tribes in litigation, administrative proceedings and appeals concerning gaming, trust lands, and preserving natural resources
- Conducting internal investigations for tribes
- Providing outside general counsel services to tribes
At Osborn Maledon, our attorneys merge state-of-the-art best practices and sophisticated transactional and litigation experience with a deep knowledge of Indian law.
Related practice areas include:Associated Attorneys