Client-Focused – Thorough – Creative
The lawyers of Osborn Maledon’s Investigations and Criminal Defense group represent public and private companies and executives in connection with complex, high-profile, sensitive investigations and prosecutions. We regularly represent individuals facing state or federal charges throughout all phases of the criminal process, from grand-jury proceedings through trial and appeal. Our team also handles internal and independent investigations for companies and organizations across a variety of industries, including financial services, health care, defense contractors, media, and hospitality. We bring a client-focused, thorough, and creative approach to each and every representation.
We have represented clients in connection with investigations by various government agencies, including the Office of the Inspector General, the Department of Justice, the Department of Defense, the Securities and Exchange Commission, the Arizona Attorney General’s Office, and the Arizona Corporation Commission. Our attorneys are well versed and experienced in corporate internal investigations, regulatory investigations, and enforcement proceedings conducted by federal and state authorities.
We have significant experience representing public agencies and tribal entities in connection with internal investigations, as well as investigations by state, federal, and regulatory agencies. These include corporate governance, government contracting, procurement, use of proprietary information, employee misconduct, and antitrust issues. Our representation of individuals is wide-ranging, including white-collar cases and all levels of felony and misdemeanor charges.
We have experienced trial lawyers on our team, but we know that our clients’ legal challenges do not begin and end in the courtroom or a law office. Our group also includes effective crisis managers and negotiators, who are savvy in dealing with media and public relations, and we work with trusted, experienced private investigators, so we can respond quickly to urgent crises and emergency situations. We pride ourselves on our strategic thinking and ability to reach positive resolutions for our clients.
White-Collar Defense and Government Investigations
- Negotiated settlement and diversion agreement with Department of Commerce and U.S. Attorney’s Office for violations of Export Administration Regulations.
- Represented government contractor in pre-intervention negotiation and settlement of False Claims Act action.
- Represented multiple employees of national company in large-scale FBI mail- and wire-fraud investigation into manipulation of customer contracts resulting in no charges against clients.
Felony and Misdemeanor Charges
- Represented client charged with participating in a drug-related criminal syndicate resulting in dismissal of charges.
- Represented client charged with fraud in connection with medical billing resulting in dismissal of charges.
- Represented client tried for negligent homicide in drowning death of her child.
- Represented professional sports organization in investigation concerning employee sexual misconduct.
- Represented residential developer subsidiary of publicly-traded company in investigation of bribery of public officials.
- Conducted internal investigation for cybersecurity firm concerning allegations of board-member misconduct.
Appeals and Post-Conviction
- State v. Dozier, No. 1 CA-CR-12-0207 (Ariz. App. Sept. 30, 2014).
- State v. Bigger, 227 Ariz. 196, 254 P.3d 1142 (App. 2011) (raising issues of pretrial publicity, DNA evidence and third-party witness evidence in appeal of first degree murder conviction).
- Bashir v. Pineda, 226 Ariz. 351, 248 P.3d 199 (App. 2011) (affirming that state must inform grand jury of matters on which accused would like to address it).
Financial Services Fraud and Regulation
- Represented publicly-traded financial-services company in connection with anti-money-laundering investigation by the Arizona Attorney General’s Office, ending in a high-profile settlement.
- Represented former managing partner of national accounting firm in connection with fraud and embezzlement charges by SEC, Arizona Attorney General’s Office, and Arizona Accountancy Board.
- Represented loan officer in connection with federal charges related to multi-million-dollar mortgage-fraud scheme resulting in a favorable plea agreement.
Health-Care Fraud and Regulation
- Represented client charged with forging medical records in Arizona Attorney General prosecution resulting in dismissal of charges.
- Represented physician in connection with DEA investigation regarding anti-aging medicines resulting in no charges.
- Represented dentist in connection with FBI investigation, who was charged with billing fraud against self-insured quasi-public entity.