Jonathan is an inimitable advocate for Arizona’s growth-oriented startup community, acting as both legal counsel and trusted advisor to emerging entrepreneurs. Before graduating Rutgers University of Law, Jonathan worked as an electrical engineer providing internet security and infrastructure consulting services for companies like Accenture, Tosco, Phillips Petroleum Company, and ConocoPhillips. Jonathan’s unique experience as a seasoned information technology specialist and in-house legal counsel gives him unparalleled perspective when assisting clients.
The bulk of Jonathan’s practice includes acting as outside general counsel to early-stage growth companies, who often bring him on board early in their business’ life cycle. He is well-versed in early-stage financings involving both convertible and equity securities. He routinely represents companies in business transactions and corporate governance matters, including mergers and acquisitions, venture capital, debt, and private equity financings, and securities offerings. A licensed patent attorney, Jonathan also focuses on intellectual property and technology-related matters such as licensing, distribution, procurement, and trademark prosecution and protection.
Jonathan is an active member of the local startup community. He has served as a two-time Chairman of Invest Southwest and Venture Madness, and has also taught business law courses. Jonathan has been recognized for his work in Corporate Law by Best Lawyers® and was named one of America’s Leading Lawyers for Business by Chambers on numerous occasions.
- Chambers USA, America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, Corporate/M&A, 2006-2009; 2015-2022
- Best Lawyers®, Lawyer of the Year Corporate Law, 2023
- Best Lawyers®, Corporate Law, 2013-2023
- Invest Southwest, Chairman, 2012-2015; Executive Committee, 2004-2012
- Venture Madness, Chairman, 2012-2015
- Adjunct Professor, Phoenix School of Law, 2008-2013
- Three Valley Entrepreneurs Discuss the Ups and Downs of Selling their Companies, Phoenix Business Journal, April 22, 2022
- Why your company needs to prep for an exit from the get-go, Phoenix Business Journal, June 14, 2019
- Open Source Software Audit – Do it now or pay later!, Arizona In-House Counsel Guide, Association of Corporate Counsel, November 2017
- California Disclosure Law Reaches Out to Touch Arizona Companies, The Business Journal of Phoenix, June 2003
- Intellectual Property in Business Transactions, NBI Seminar, May 9, 2008
- Build Your Arizona Practice, State Bar of Arizona, October 30, 2008